Feeling the new year?
Here’s a recipe to get you in the New Year’s mood.
Ginger Christmas cookies with honey and cinnamon –
flavorful and crunchy
cooking time : 30 minutes
Servings : 20
- flour – 3 cups
- ground ginger – 3 teaspoons
- Ground cinnamon – 1 teaspoon
- ground nutmeg – 1/2 teaspoon 1
- teaspoon baking soda
- salt – 1/4 teaspoon
- room temperature oil – 1-1/2 cups
- brown sugar – 1 cup
- honey – 1/4 cup
- egg – 1
- vanilla extract – 1 teaspoon
- white sugar (for sprinkles) – 1/4 cup, optional
- sprinkles, icing – as desired
Step-by-step recipe :
- In a bowl, combine flour, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and salt.
- In another large bowl, mix butter and brown sugar. Mix in the honey, egg and vanilla.
- Add the dry mixture to the liquid mixture and stir. It is better to add not all at once, but gradually, so it is easier to mix.
- Assemble the cookie dough into a circle and wrap it in plastic wrap. Put away to chill in the fridge for a while…at least 2 hours or overnight (or you can keep the finished dough for up to 1 week in the fridge).
- Preheat the oven to 170 C.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface, about 1.5 cm thick. Use molds to cut out the Christmas gingerbread.
- Place the gingerbread cookies on a baking tray and bake for 12 minutes. You may need more or less time, it all depends on your oven. So, keep an eye on the gingerbread cookies by the end of the baking time. Once browned, you can take them out.
- Take the Christmas cookies out of the oven and sprinkle with white sugar or decorate with icing to your liking.