For the Filling:
- 1 pound (450g) minced meat (beef, pork, or a combination)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (optional)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef or vegetable broth
- 1 cup frozen peas or mixed vegetables (optional)
For the Pie Crust:
- 2 store-bought pie crusts (or make your own)
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add the chopped onions and garlic, if using, and cook until they become translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the minced meat to the skillet and cook until it’s browned and cooked through, breaking it apart with a spatula as it cooks. Drain any excess fat if necessary.
more recipe minced meat
- Sprinkle the flour over the meat and onions and stir well to combine. This will help thicken the filling.
- Add the thyme, salt, and pepper to taste. Then, gradually pour in the beef or vegetable broth while stirring continuously. Allow the mixture to simmer for a few minutes until it thickens and forms a flavorful gravy. If you’re using frozen peas or mixed vegetables, stir them in at this point.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and let the filling cool slightly.
- Place one of the pie crusts into a pie dish or a baking dish, pressing it into the bottom and sides.
- Pour the cooled meat and onion filling into the pie crust.
- Place the second pie crust on top of the filling. You can either seal the edges with a fork or crimp them decoratively with your fingers. Don’t forget to cut a few small slits on the top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Place the pie in the preheated oven and bake for about 30-35 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is hot and bubbly.
- Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
Enjoy your homemade minced meat and onion pie! You can customize this recipe by adding your favorite herbs, spices, or vegetables to the filling.