I made this dish for the first time last year.
It was the month of March, St. Patrick’s Day was coming up, and I wanted to make something original for the holiday.
And since the holiday has Irish roots, I chose Irish cuisine, too.
Now I make this dish very often, so I like it.
To make this Irish beef stew you need:
- olive oil – 3 tbsp.
- beef (boneless flesh) – 1,5 kg
- garlic – 4 cloves
- ground black – to taste
- tomato paste – 1/3 cup
- beef broth – 2 cup
- dark beer – 1,5 cup (0,33 l bottle will do)
- thyme – 2 tsp.
- carrots – 3 or 4 units.
- onion – 1 pc.
- rutabaga – 1 pc.
- parsnip – 1 pc.
How to cook Irish beef stew:
- Preheat the oven to a temperature of 170 ° C.
- Now pour 2 tablespoons of oil into a heatproof pan.
- Place in a single layer some of the diced beef in the bottom of the pan. Pepper and salt to taste.
- Cook the meat until it is crispy (this will take about 6-8 minutes). Then transfer it to a separate plate and repeat the same with the rest of the beef.
- Return all of the cooked beef from your plate or plates (this is if there is a lot of meat) back into a heatproof pan and add the crushed garlic. Braise for 1 minute.
- Now add the tomato paste to the pan and continue to braise the meat with the paste and garlic for another 1 minute.
- To taste, you add spices, broth, as well as beer, thyme, bay leaf, 1 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. black pepper. The meat should just be covered with the liquid. If not, add more liquid.
- Bring the whole thing to a boil (it should heat without a lid) and cover.
- Now put your pot in the oven for 2 hours or until the meat is soft.
- While the meat is in the oven, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a deep skillet over medium heat. Add the vegetables (carrots, parsnips, rutabaga, and onion, chopped into random not too small pieces) and sprinkle lightly with salt. Fry the vegetables until they turn a brighter color and begin to turn golden (2 to 3 minutes).
- When the meat is ready, remove it from the oven. Remove floating fat (if any) from the surface with a spoon.
- now it’s time to add the vegetables to your juicy beef. The vegetables and meat are mixed thoroughly and put in the oven for another 1 hour (but they are put in the oven without a lid). Every 20 minutes you need to stir the meat and vegetables.
- When the meat is pierced easily with a fork, the liquid has sufficiently evaporated, and the vegetables have softened, the meat Irish is ready.
The best side dish for Irish meat would be mashed potatoes. But this is my opinion. You can try any side dish to your taste, it goes well with almost anything.